It's time again to submit your story pitches to the Media Co-op! As we do every month, in February we'll pay two contributors for news features to be published in The Dominion. We prioritize solutions-oriented news pieces with a Canadian angle, including photo essays and video pitches. Pitches are welcome from anyone; priority for payment goes to those who have previously contributed.
How to pitch a story:
1. If you do not have a Media Co-op account (which you can also use to post photos, audio, video and stories directly to the Media Co-op site), you’ll need to set one up:
2. Check out our writer’s guide for hot topics and details about writing for The Dominion:
For information about making a video pitch, check out our production guidelines and tutorials:
3. Peruse the latest Media Co-op discussion page for story ideas:
4. Pitch! To pitch an article, fill out the form on this page:
To pitch a video news clip, contact us with your proposal:
A couple hot tips:
1. The Media Co-op has a special budget – sponsored by Koumbit, a non-profit web development, website creation, graphic design and IT training organization – to pay for one article about technology and society per month (in particular, we’re interested in coverage of copyright, privacy, free software, and net neutrality). These articles are 5-800 words, payment is a flat $50, and they follow the same pitch process outlined below.
2. As a member-run organization, the Media Co-op has a vested interest in publishing stories our readers want to read. Our readers have been posting ideas for stories about co-operatives that should be told, and we want those stories! Take a look at the discussion page here:
Consider pitching a story you see here, or pitch us your own news story about an innovative co-op or the co-operative movement. If we like your pitch, we’ll pay you $100 to write the story!
The Media Co-op currently pays a flat rate of $100 for accepted stories. Articles are either 800 or 1600 words. See the video guidelines for length of videos. Editors reserve the right to suggest changes and edit stories (with your participation, of course!). Pitches should capture the content, tone and style of the story you plan to submit; if the content submitted differs significantly from the pitch, editors reserve the right to withhold payment. The Dominion accepts pitches at any time.
Deadline for pitches: February 1
Response to pitches: February 4
First draft deadline for accepted articles: February 15*
Final draft deadline: February 28*
(All deadlines are 5pm EST)
*Deadlines subject to the discretion of the editor
The next call for pitches will go out February 25.
Moira Peters, on behalf of the editors